Many people decide to try their hand at making crab cakes, but they do not know what to serve with them. Just what goes with crab cakes? The answer is lots of things. You want to keep it simple, though, so the crab cakes do not get lost in the shuffle. Simple foods will complement the crab cakes without overwhelming them.
Roasted potatoes are an excellent accompaniment. Just slice them thinly and toss them with a coating of olive oil, salt, pepper and dill or rosemary. Roast them until they begin to get crisp. You can do the same thing with new potatoes, but cut them into wedges and roast them until they are fork tender. Baked potatoes are nice, too, as are simple French fries. In fact, the traditional accompaniments for crab cakes in Maryland are French fries, tomato slices, and coleslaw.
You do not need to make it fancy with crab cakes, but at the same time, unless you grew up with them, they seem like a fancy dish. Follow your own instincts and go as simple or fancy as you wish.
Vegetables like asparagus or green beans are nice with crab cakes. Salads are always a good choice, ranging from a crisp green salad to a full-blown macaroni salad. Fruit salad works, too. Fried zucchini, tomatoes or any other any other treat from the garden is a good choice.
If you are concerned about the richness of the crab cake, choose a side dish that cuts the richness. A tomato salad would work well, as would anything with a vinaigrette on it. Polenta or cheese grits make a nice accompaniment. By keeping it light, the crab cakes are perfect for lunch, brunch or even a snack.
Of course, you cannot go wrong with fresh corn on the cob. Crab and corn complement each other anyway, but fresh corn and crab cakes make an excellent meal. Marinated cucumbers are a nice choice, also.
You can also make sauces to go along with your crab cakes. A simple spicy mayonnaise sauce with wasabi or chipotle in it works miracles with crab cakes. Serve a little dollop on top of each cake or put it on the side so everyone can add as much or as little as they want.
Another great mayonnaise sauce is basil mayonnaise. Tzatziki, a Greek yogurt sauce, is a refreshing choice on a hot summer day. You could also try them with your favorite salsa recipe. They should go well with fruit salsa, avocado salsa or traditional tomato salsa. If you want to keep it simple, just serve them with lemon wedges so everyone can add a squeeze of lemon if they wish.
Ultimately, you need to choose what appeals to you. Simple or fancy, serve what is in season or is available. Keep everything as fresh as possible. Fresh produce and the freshest crab you can get will make your meal the best it can be. Save crab cakes for special occasions if you need to so you can really splurge and make them the best they can be.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- A New England Girl’s Lobster Roll May 6, 2016
- Homemade Oyster Stew with Cilantro April 22, 2016
- Spaghetti and Clams with Red Sauce April 6, 2016
- Baked Clams Oreganata New England Style April 3, 2016
- Seared Scallops in a Tarragon Cream Sauce March 30, 2016
- Succulent Tempura Fried Crab Legs with Asian Dipping Sauce March 26, 2016
- Southern Fried Oyster Po-Boy Sandwich March 19, 2016
- Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Romano Cheeses March 16, 2016
- Homemade Salmon Burger with Avocado and Pineapple March 14, 2016
- Rhode Island Clam Fritter Recipe March 9, 2016
- Grilled Steak and Lobster with Creamy Mashed Potatoes March 5, 2016
- Cheddar Cheese Tuna Casserole with Mixed Vegetables February 28, 2016
- Home (80509 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (33278 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (25980 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (21746 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (20800 Views)
- Fish and Chips (18794 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (17233 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (16066 Views)
- HomeMay 21, 2016
- Recipe PublishingFebruary 23, 2016
- Types of SeafoodJanuary 28, 2016
- The Life Cycle of a SalmonJanuary 27, 2016
- Why Buy Seafood Online?January 27, 2016
- Ways You Can Smoke Fish on Your OwnJanuary 27, 2016
- Some Helpful Tips for Working with Frozen ShrimpJanuary 26, 2016
- Shellfish 101 and Unusual Seafood Cooking MethodsJanuary 26, 2016