When you buy seafood that you cannot eat right away, you need to freeze it. Do not just toss it in the freezer until you have prepped it for the best preservation. If you have a vacuum sealing apparatus, use it. It is most important to keep air from contacting your seafood in its package. If you do not have one, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, pushing out any air bubbles that form. Put your wrapped fish into a plastic bag. Eat your fish as soon as possible.
Another method is to “glaze” the fish. Dip them in cold water. Place them on a sheet pan and put it in the freezer so the water can freeze on the fish, creating a glaze-like coating of ice. Drop your ice-coated fish into a plastic bag and put it in the freezer.
Freezing Fish for Beginners
Do not freeze any seafood longer than 6 months. While freezing does not dramatically impact fish flavor like it can with beef or other meats, after 6 months they do start to lose quality. Many cold water fish live in temperatures barely above freezing, so putting most fish in a freezer is a great option for awhile. Oily fish like salmon should only be frozen for 3 months; even though they live in the cold waters of the ocean, they do not keep as well in the freezer. Date all your frozen seafood so you do not run the risk of eating subpar seafood.
Some fish should never be frozen. If you purchase some fresh sardines, mackerel or herring, eat them right away. This is why these varieties are usually found canned at the supermarket instead of frozen. They have a high concentration of fat in their bodies that just does not adapt well to freezing.
Picture, recipes and/or content upgraded: 01-14-16
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- A New England Girl’s Lobster Roll May 6, 2016
- Homemade Oyster Stew with Cilantro April 22, 2016
- Spaghetti and Clams with Red Sauce April 6, 2016
- Baked Clams Oreganata New England Style April 3, 2016
- Seared Scallops in a Tarragon Cream Sauce March 30, 2016
- Succulent Tempura Fried Crab Legs with Asian Dipping Sauce March 26, 2016
- Southern Fried Oyster Po-Boy Sandwich March 19, 2016
- Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Romano Cheeses March 16, 2016
- Homemade Salmon Burger with Avocado and Pineapple March 14, 2016
- Rhode Island Clam Fritter Recipe March 9, 2016
- Grilled Steak and Lobster with Creamy Mashed Potatoes March 5, 2016
- Cheddar Cheese Tuna Casserole with Mixed Vegetables February 28, 2016
- Home (81341 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (33511 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (26718 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (22339 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (21084 Views)
- Fish and Chips (20212 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (17530 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (17464 Views)