Smoking fish is not difficult and all you need is the fish, a smoker and some brine. However, you will probably want to try smoking a few inexpensive fish first, to see how it goes, before smoking a very large or expensive fish.
Preparing the Fish
Use thawed, flash-frozen fish or fresh fish for this. Clean the fish and take off the head, tail and fins, as well as any damaged or bruised flesh. Wash the fish well in clean water. Make a saltwater brine using two and a half tablespoons of salt to one cup of water. You will need a quart of brine per pound of fish. Soak the fish in the brine for fifteen minutes per half-inch thickness of the fish. You can add a teaspoon of lemon juice per cup of brine if you want to reduce the fishy odor.
How Long to Smoke It
Get the smoker ready. You will need to smoke the fish for three hours plus half an hour per pound of fish. Take the fish out of the brine and run it under cold running water. Put it skin side down on an oiled smoker rack and smoke it.
Keep the temperature around 150 degrees F, and then turn the heat up after the first two hours to 200 degrees F. Keep smoking the fish until it is cooked through and flakes easily. Serve it right away or chill it in the refrigerator. You can also wrap it tightly and freeze it for a couple of months.
Five Reasons to Make Your Own Fish Recipes
1. Everyone Loves Great Fish Recipes
If you enjoy cooking, you will love cooking with fish because there are easy fish recipes for everyone. Whether you prefer delicate tasting fish, meaty fish, unusual fish, or a mixture of fish and seafood, there is a perfect fish recipe waiting for you to find it.
2. Fish Recipes are So Easy to Make
Not every fish recipe is easy but we are focused on finding the simplest ones which still taste amazing, and sharing the best fish recipes with you. There are recipes for canned tuna and fish sticks but we also have recipes for salmon, tuna and other exciting fish and the good news is these are easy fish recipes as well.
3. Most Fish Recipes are Healthy
In addition to the myriad of tastes available among the different types of fish, more and more studies are proving the benefits to your health from eating fish, especially baked fish. Crucial Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish like salmon and haddock help promote a healthy heart and lifestyle. Depending on the method of preparation, fish is a good source of low-fat protein and can actually provide help in keeping cholesterol rates down and help with weight loss.
4. There are Some Great Budget Choices
If your main reason for shunning fish was the cost then you will be pleased to know that budget fish can taste just as mouthwatering as the expensive ones, as long as you know which ingredients to add to get the best results from your chosen fish.
5. Fish Makes a Welcome Change
Tired of chicken? Bored with beef? Why not investigate the delicious world of easy fish recipes and find some new dinner menu inspiration? There are easy fish recipes to suit every budget and palate so check out our easy fish recipes today!
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- A New England Girl’s Lobster Roll May 6, 2016
- Homemade Oyster Stew with Cilantro April 22, 2016
- Spaghetti and Clams with Red Sauce April 6, 2016
- Baked Clams Oreganata New England Style April 3, 2016
- Seared Scallops in a Tarragon Cream Sauce March 30, 2016
- Succulent Tempura Fried Crab Legs with Asian Dipping Sauce March 26, 2016
- Southern Fried Oyster Po-Boy Sandwich March 19, 2016
- Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Romano Cheeses March 16, 2016
- Homemade Salmon Burger with Avocado and Pineapple March 14, 2016
- Rhode Island Clam Fritter Recipe March 9, 2016
- Grilled Steak and Lobster with Creamy Mashed Potatoes March 5, 2016
- Cheddar Cheese Tuna Casserole with Mixed Vegetables February 28, 2016
- Home (81343 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (33513 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (26723 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (22343 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (21089 Views)
- Fish and Chips (20225 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (17535 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (17483 Views)