So, you have decided which shrimp recipe to make, but what are you going to serve with it? If your shrimp recipe is a one-pot meal then it might not require any side dishes.
For example, a seafood pasta bake with pasta, seafood, vegetables, and sauce can be served on its own, as can a shrimp lasagna or a shrimp stir-fry which features noodles and vegetables too. A homemade shrimp soup recipe can be served with croutons or with crusty bread on the side but you can also serve it just as it is.
Side Dish Options
If you are looking for a tasty side dish for shrimp, then it depends how the shrimp are cooked. Grilled shrimp might be good served with coleslaw or potato salad. Creamy shrimp pasta is mouthwatering with garlic bread, if you do not mind carb overload. If you are going to serve something like that, you should spoil yourself anyway and serve all your favorite side dishes! There will be plenty of opportunities to make healthy shrimp recipes like shrimp soup or shrimp salad later.
Shrimp sushi can be served with a little soy sauce and wasabi on the side, and shrimp toast is delicious served just as it is. If you are serving spicy shrimp, you might want to have plates of tortillas, guacamole, sliced tomatoes, sour cream, tomato salsa, fried onions and bell peppers, so that people can assemble their own tasty shrimp wraps, adding the ingredients they like.
Grated cheese is always nice to offer on the side if you are serving fajitas, tacos, shrimp pasta, shrimp risotto, or even a shrimp salad recipe. Homemade cocktail sauce (the pink sauce you have with seafood) is also nice served alongside shrimp salad recipes or even grilled shrimp kabobs.
Pretty much any vegetables go with shrimp so if you are serving cooked shrimp with rice, potatoes, or pasta, you can use any vegetables you want. Green beans, mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, and corn on the cob are just a few ideas.
Pairing Wine with Shrimp
Because there are so many different shrimp recipes, there are also a lot of possible wine pairings. It is often easier to pair the wine with the sauce in the shrimp recipe or the flavors in the dish, than with the shrimp itself. For example, if you are serving plain shrimp, you might choose to serve sparkling wine with a plate of fried shrimp. The sparkling wine would offset the grease of the oil clinging to the shrimp.
Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, and Pinot Grigio are also great with shrimp. Shrimp is quite sweet so choose a wine which is sweeter than the shrimp for the best results, perhaps something a little fruity like an off-dry Riesling.
Hot grilled shrimp drizzled with melted butter is beautiful with a glass of California Chardonnay. The buttery, oaky flavors in the wine are amazing with the shrimp. Gewurztraminer or off-dry Riesling is good with spicy Asian shrimp, or you could even serve beer instead, if you prefer that to the wine.
If you fancy trying something red, go for a Pinot Noir or something fruity and Italian like Valpolicella. This would be good with an Italian-style, tomato-based, shrimp pasta dish. Choosing wine is largely down to personal preference though, since everyone has a slightly different palate, so choose something you know you like.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Best Shrimp Scampi Recipe with Penne November 22, 2014
- Shrimp Scampi with Pasta Recipe November 20, 2014
- Shrimp Fried Rice Chinese Style November 18, 2014
- Diabetic-Friendly Shrimp Stir Fry November 17, 2014
- Herby Salmon Casserole with Sour Cream November 7, 2014
- Poached Salmon with Dill Horseradish Sauce November 5, 2014
- Salmon Patties in a Lemon Cheese Sauce November 2, 2014
- Simple Baked Mexican Fish Filets October 26, 2014
- Easy Cod Croquettes August 31, 2014
- 4-Herb Baked Salmon Recipe August 26, 2014
- Gourmet Roasted Salmon with Pea Puree August 24, 2014
- Lime and Chili Tilapia Taco Recipe August 19, 2014
- Home (53681 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (27532 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (19084 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (16457 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (11708 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (10919 Views)
- Fried Lobster Tail Recipes (10122 Views)
- Baked Steelhead Trout Recipe (9189 Views)
- Common Seafood SeasoningsJanuary 16, 2015
- The Life Cycle of a SalmonNovember 1, 2014
- The Life-Cycle of a CrawfishOctober 22, 2014
- Shrimp Glossary of Cooking Terms - Shrimp Cooking A - ZOctober 21, 2014
- A Brief History of Shrimp and Shrimp RecipesOctober 21, 2014
- A Closer Look at Shrimp RecipesOctober 21, 2014
- A Complete Guide to Cooking Crab LegsOctober 21, 2014
- A Delicious Guide to the History of Fish RecipesOctober 21, 2014