So, you have decided which shrimp recipe to make, but what are you going to serve with it? If your shrimp recipe is a one-pot meal then it might not require any side dishes.
For example, a seafood pasta bake with pasta, seafood, vegetables, and sauce can be served on its own, as can a shrimp lasagna or a shrimp stir-fry which features noodles and vegetables too. A homemade shrimp soup recipe can be served with croutons or with crusty bread on the side but you can also serve it just as it is.
Side Dish Options
If you are looking for a tasty side dish for shrimp, then it depends how the shrimp are cooked. Grilled shrimp might be good served with coleslaw or potato salad. Creamy shrimp pasta is mouthwatering with garlic bread, if you do not mind carb overload. If you are going to serve something like that, you should spoil yourself anyway and serve all your favorite side dishes! There will be plenty of opportunities to make healthy shrimp recipes like shrimp soup or shrimp salad later.
Shrimp sushi can be served with a little soy sauce and wasabi on the side, and shrimp toast is delicious served just as it is. If you are serving spicy shrimp, you might want to have plates of tortillas, guacamole, sliced tomatoes, sour cream, tomato salsa, fried onions and bell peppers, so that people can assemble their own tasty shrimp wraps, adding the ingredients they like.
Grated cheese is always nice to offer on the side if you are serving fajitas, tacos, shrimp pasta, shrimp risotto, or even a shrimp salad recipe. Homemade cocktail sauce (the pink sauce you have with seafood) is also nice served alongside shrimp salad recipes or even grilled shrimp kabobs.
Pretty much any vegetables go with shrimp so if you are serving cooked shrimp with rice, potatoes, or pasta, you can use any vegetables you want. Green beans, mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, and corn on the cob are just a few ideas.
Pairing Wine with Shrimp
Because there are so many different shrimp recipes, there are also a lot of possible wine pairings. It is often easier to pair the wine with the sauce in the shrimp recipe or the flavors in the dish, than with the shrimp itself. For example, if you are serving plain shrimp, you might choose to serve sparkling wine with a plate of fried shrimp. The sparkling wine would offset the grease of the oil clinging to the shrimp.
Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, and Pinot Grigio are also great with shrimp. Shrimp is quite sweet so choose a wine which is sweeter than the shrimp for the best results, perhaps something a little fruity like an off-dry Riesling.
Hot grilled shrimp drizzled with melted butter is beautiful with a glass of California Chardonnay. The buttery, oaky flavors in the wine are amazing with the shrimp. Gewurztraminer or off-dry Riesling is good with spicy Asian shrimp, or you could even serve beer instead, if you prefer that to the wine.
If you fancy trying something red, go for a Pinot Noir or something fruity and Italian like Valpolicella. This would be good with an Italian-style, tomato-based, shrimp pasta dish. Choosing wine is largely down to personal preference though, since everyone has a slightly different palate, so choose something you know you like.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Cheddar and Leek Fisherman’s Pie September 24, 2015
- Argentinian Style Scallops with Chimichurri September 23, 2015
- Asian Scallop and Shrimp Kabobs July 18, 2015
- Seabass Carpaccio Salad with Crispy Garlic July 12, 2015
- Golden Brown Scallop Gratin July 11, 2015
- 5 Shrimp Pasta Dishes You Must Try July 3, 2015
- Shrimp and Ricotta Stuffed Pasta Shells July 3, 2015
- Crispy Crab and Shrimp Wontons June 29, 2015
- Coronation Shrimp Vol-au-Vents June 28, 2015
- Buttery Seared Scallops in Prosecco June 23, 2015
- Warm Creole Crawfish Dip June 22, 2015
- Simple Kid-Friendly Salmon June 21, 2015
- Home (78866 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (32996 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (25333 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (20971 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (20508 Views)
- Fish and Chips (17784 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (16749 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (14764 Views)