This easy yet delicious clam sauce recipe is rich, creamy, and totally delicious served with penne or your favorite variety of tubular pasta. The sauce is flavored with onion and mushrooms, and made creamy by adding two kinds of cheese as well as some cream. You can swap some of the cheese for blue cheese if you like it. Not everyone is a fan but you will not really taste the blue cheese in the finished clam sauce recipe. It will certainly not overpower the other flavors anyway, so throw some in if you want.
The marsala wine adds a cultured note, and this is a flavorful and well-balanced dish, which can be paired with a tossed salad to make a satisfying and appealing dinner. Use canned clams for this recipe; it is not necessary to cook fresh ones.
If you like, you can use fewer clams and more mushrooms. Just use the balance which sounds best for you. In this recipe we are using quite a lot of clams but not so many mushrooms – swap that around if you would rather boost the mushroom amount. You will find this clam sauce recipe easy to make and it is best served right away, perhaps with some grated fresh parmesan on the side.
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 12 oz can chopped clams
- ½ cup marsala wine
- 1 chopped white onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 4 oz quartered button mushrooms
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Ground nutmeg, for garnish (optional)
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a skillet, and add the garlic, onions, and mushrooms.
- Sauté these vegetables until tender, then pour in the wine.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then turn down the heat, add the clams (and about ⅓ of their juice) and cook the mixture until thick.
- Cook the pasta, following the directions on the package, and drain it.
- Combine the cream and cheeses in a double boiler (or in a glass dish over a pot of simmering water) and stir until melted.
- Toss the hot, cooked pasta with the clam mixture and cheese mixture.
- Garnish with fresh basil, and you can also sprinkle some nutmeg around the outside of the plate if you like, for an elegant finish.
This clam sauce recipe is really good, and the finished dish has a lovely fresh flavor and a thick, creamy consistency. The marsala gives it an elegant flavor, and the mushrooms add color as well as another texture. Clams are quite versatile and can be used to make soups and chowders, as well as satisfying pasta sauces. You can also serve fresh clams in their shells, of course. This meal makes great comfort food and, as the photo shows, adding a sprig of basil and a sprinkling of nutmeg transforms the dish from simple-looking to sophisticated.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Easy Cod Croquettes August 31, 2014
- 4-Herb Baked Salmon Recipe August 26, 2014
- Gourmet Roasted Salmon with Pea Puree August 24, 2014
- Lime and Chili Tilapia Taco Recipe August 19, 2014
- Baked Fish Recipes December 22, 2013
- Shrimp on the Grill Recipes December 21, 2013
- Fettuccini Carbonara Recipe December 16, 2013
- Baked Salmon Fish Cakes December 15, 2013
- Home (53378 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (27352 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (18939 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (16037 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (11457 Views)
- Fried Lobster Tail Recipes (9997 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (9764 Views)
- Baked Steelhead Trout Recipe (8966 Views)
- Succulent Seared Scallops Recipe in a Citrus Sauce (8567 Views)
- Delicious Imitation Crab Salad Sandwich (8545 Views)
- Shrimp Glossary of Cooking Terms - Shrimp Cooking A - ZOctober 21, 2014
- A Brief History of Shrimp and Shrimp RecipesOctober 21, 2014
- A Closer Look at Shrimp RecipesOctober 21, 2014
- A Complete Guide to Cooking Crab LegsOctober 21, 2014
- A Delicious Guide to the History of Fish RecipesOctober 21, 2014
- All About Calamari - How to Cook CalamariOctober 21, 2014
- An Introduction to Easy Fish RecipesOctober 21, 2014
- Crab Cooking TipsOctober 21, 2014
- Crab Salad Glossary of Cooking Terms - Crab Cooking A - Z October 21, 2014
- An Introduction to Crab SaladOctober 21, 2014