California rolls with imitation crabmeat is just what you need to make a dinner party classy. Make these California rolls with imitation crabmeat for your next get-together. You don’t have to go out to have real sushi like this, and the flavor is just amazing. Learn how to make these little sushi rolls and you will be the belle of the ball, with everyone admiring your cooking knowhow. This is a great recipe for sushi and hard to get wrong.
Grab some floor pillows, take off your shoes, and have a seat around the coffee table to enjoy this simply divine California Roll. A true maki-sushi, meaning; sushi made inside out. Delicate sweet rice, succulent crab, luscious, creamy avocado and crisp crunchy cucumber lends a hand to create a taste sensation unmatched in freshness.
Delicious, light and so divinely refreshing. As the Japanese would say, Oishii – meaning Yummy in Japanese! Simple, yet absolutely delicious when served with fresh pickled ginger, also called gari.
Serve a warm bowl of tasty miso soup as the first course for these lovely California Rolls.
This is a wonderfully great and simple meal to prepare for game nights, bowling league nights and so much more. Better yet, get all the fixings for these delectable California Rolls and several rolling mats and let guests make their own California rolls. Offer the traditional hot tea or other beverages of choice and you have a real sushi ikkou, (Sushi Party)! So let me say, Enjoy or in Japanese: Tanoshimu!
Have You Ever Made Your Own Sushi Rolls?
- 1 cup uncooked short-grain white rice
- 8 sheets nori (dried seaweed)
- 2 pitted, lengthwise-sliced avocados
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2½ tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 cucumber, cut into thin spears
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- ½ cup finely chopped imitation crabmeat
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- Rinse the rice in a strainer until it comes out clear, then put it in a rice cooker with 1 cup of water and cook.
- Combine the rice vinegar and sugar until the sugar has dissolved, and then stir the mixture into the cooked rice.
- Let the rice cool.
- Mix the imitation crabmeat with the mayonnaise.
- Cover a bamboo rolling mat with plastic wrap.
- Lay a sheet of nori, shiny side down, on the plastic wrap, then with wet fingers firmly pat a thin, even layer of prepared rice over the nori, leaving ¼ inch uncovered at the bottom edge of the sheet.
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon of sesame seeds over the rice and press them in.
- Carefully flip the nori sheet over so the seaweed side faces up.
- Arrange a couple of long cucumber spears, a couple of slices of avocado and about a tablespoon of imitation crab mixture in a line across the nori sheet, about ¼ inch from the uncovered edge.
- Pick up the edge of the bamboo rolling sheet, fold the bottom edge of the sheet up to enclose the filling.
- Tightly roll the sushi into a cylinder about 1½ inches in diameter.
- When the sushi is rolled, tightly wrap the bamboo mat.
- Dip a knife in water and cut 1 inch thick rolls.
Photo Credit: California Roll by Hyougushi, on Flickr
Many home cooks are daunted by the prospect of preparing Japanese dishes, sushi in particular, because they always look so elegant and gorgeous. The truth about Japanese cooking though, is that much of it is very simple, sushi included. Once you master cooking and flavoring the rice, and you can roll the sushi tightly and evenly so it holds its shape, there is nothing much else to learn, and you will be able to make all kinds of sushi. This recipe includes imitation crab and avocado, so you can make delicious and authentic California rolls, which are always impressive.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- A New England Girl’s Lobster Roll May 6, 2016
- Homemade Oyster Stew with Cilantro April 22, 2016
- Spaghetti and Clams with Red Sauce April 6, 2016
- Baked Clams Oreganata New England Style April 3, 2016
- Seared Scallops in a Tarragon Cream Sauce March 30, 2016
- Succulent Tempura Fried Crab Legs with Asian Dipping Sauce March 26, 2016
- Southern Fried Oyster Po-Boy Sandwich March 19, 2016
- Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Romano Cheeses March 16, 2016
- Homemade Salmon Burger with Avocado and Pineapple March 14, 2016
- Rhode Island Clam Fritter Recipe March 9, 2016
- Grilled Steak and Lobster with Creamy Mashed Potatoes March 5, 2016
- Cheddar Cheese Tuna Casserole with Mixed Vegetables February 28, 2016
- Home (81337 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (33509 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (26706 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (22334 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (21079 Views)
- Fish and Chips (20198 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (17528 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (17442 Views)