Crab cakes are always a delight and the following recipe shows you how to take the basic recipe for crab cakes to the next level, by using Dungeness crabmeat, and serving the crab cakes with a deliciously spiced hollandaise sauce, and poached eggs. This gourmet recipe is not hard to make and you can make the hollandaise sauce first, then the crab cakes and finally the poached eggs. You do not have to have everything on the stove at the same time, which some home cooks find stressful. Take your time making this.
This recipe calls for clarified butter. To make a cup of clarified butter you will need 1¼ cups of regular butter. Melt it in a pan over a low heat, then take it off the heat and let it sit, so the milk solids and butter can separate. Skim off the foam on top, and then pour the butter off the milk solids which will now be on the bottom.
This is one of the best-tasting Dungeness crab recipes you can make and it makes a great dinner or even a lavish breakfast. The avocado, orange, salsa and roast potato cubes are optional, but they are highly recommended accompaniments to this crab cakes recipe, because they add color and flavor to the dish.
- 6 eggs
- Splash of white vinegar
- Roasted potato cubes, to serve (optional)
- Avocado slices and orange slices, for garnish
- 1 cup chunky tomato salsa or pico de gallo, for garnish (optional)
- 2 lbs Dungeness crabmeat
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped pickles
- Zest of 2 limes
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup clarified butter, at room temperature
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle puree
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- First make the hollandaise sauce.
- Whisk the lemon juice, egg yolks, and water in a bowl.
- Put the bowl on top of a pan containing some water, and warm over a medium heat.
- Whisk the mixture over the gentle heat until the eggs are fluffy and beginning to thicken.
- Add the clarified butter and stir until incorporated.
- Stir in the chipotle puree, then season with salt and black pepper.
- Set the sauce to one side, placing a plate over the bowl so it stays warm.
- Put the crabmeat in a bowl with the mayonnaise, mustard, cilantro, chives, lime zest, pickles, and ¼ cup of breadcrumbs.
- Mix well and season with salt and black pepper.
- Shape the crab mixture into 6 patties, and lightly coat them with the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet and add 3 crab cakes to the pan when the oil is hot.
- Cook for a couple of minutes or until golden brown, then flip over and cook the other side.
- Keep these warm in the oven while you do the same with the other 3 crab cakes.
- Fill a pot half-full with water and bring it to a boil.
- Add some white vinegar, and then crack the eggs into the water one by one.
- Boil for 2 or 3 minutes, until soft-poached.
- Arrange the crab cakes on a platter and add a poached egg to each one, then spoon over the hollandaise sauce.
- Add avocado and orange slices for garnish, as well as some roasted potato cubes, and chunky tomato salsa or pico de gallo, if liked.
This dish offers so much in the way of flavor and aroma. It really will blow you away with its wonderful taste. Enjoy the variety of textures and the beautiful crab cakes. This is a gourmet treat, and everything goes together so well. The crab cakes are lovely with the soft-poached eggs, and the gently spiced hollandaise sauce finishes it off wonderfully. Add some roast potato cubes, avocado and orange slices, and salsa or pico de gallo (which is like salsa but with less juice) and you have the vibrantly colorful dish you can see in this picture. If you like crab cakes, you will definitely love this.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- A New England Girl’s Lobster Roll May 6, 2016
- Homemade Oyster Stew with Cilantro April 22, 2016
- Spaghetti and Clams with Red Sauce April 6, 2016
- Baked Clams Oreganata New England Style April 3, 2016
- Seared Scallops in a Tarragon Cream Sauce March 30, 2016
- Succulent Tempura Fried Crab Legs with Asian Dipping Sauce March 26, 2016
- Southern Fried Oyster Po-Boy Sandwich March 19, 2016
- Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Romano Cheeses March 16, 2016
- Homemade Salmon Burger with Avocado and Pineapple March 14, 2016
- Rhode Island Clam Fritter Recipe March 9, 2016
- Grilled Steak and Lobster with Creamy Mashed Potatoes March 5, 2016
- Cheddar Cheese Tuna Casserole with Mixed Vegetables February 28, 2016
- Home (81337 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (33509 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (26706 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (22334 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (21079 Views)
- Fish and Chips (20198 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (17528 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (17442 Views)