This exciting cod recipe combines juicy cod filets with potatoes and zucchini. The vegetables are flavored with balsamic vinegar and garlic and the fish is flavored with lemon. You can either cook this in one baking dish, if you have one that is big enough, or use two – one for the fish and the other for the veggies.
The vegetables need to go in the oven first because the fish does not take as long to cook. This is an easy yet healthy and flavorful recipe which is sure to delight any fish fans. Swap the butter for extra virgin olive oil if you prefer to use that.
Substitute another firm fish for the cod if you are on a budget and want to use something more economical, if there is a similar fish which you prefer or if you have something else to use up. Cod is not that expensive but it is not the cheapest choice either. Try tilapia, basa, or haddock if you want. Sometimes you can get fish on sale for no other reason than you need to use it within one or two days and it is often worth picking it up then, especially when you can make such delicious recipes with it.
- 2 lbs skinless cod filets
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- 1 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 new potatoes, scrubbed and sliced ½ inch thick
- 2 zucchini, sliced ½ inch thick
- ¼ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- Salt and black pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley and lemon wedges, for garnish
- Sauté the onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon of the butter for 3 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar and turn the heat down.
- Cook for 5 more minutes, or until the onion caramelizes.
- Spoon it into a big oven dish, spreading it over the base. Arrange the potatoes and zucchini on top and sprinkle some salt over them.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoons of the balsamic vinegar over the potatoes and zucchini.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 10 minutes and remove from the oven.
- Drizzle more balsamic vinegar over the top.
- Arrange the fish on top of the potatoes and zucchini and squeeze the lemon juice over it.
- Sprinkle on some salt and pepper and add the remaining melted butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the fish is cooked through and the potatoes are tender.
- Divide the fish between 4 serving plates and serve the cod and zucchini mixture on the side.
- Decorate the plates with lemon wedges and scatter fresh parsley over everything.
The butter (or olive oil if you prefer to use that) in this juicy cod and vegetable recipe gives it extra succulence and the lemon juice gives it a gorgeous zing. This is a well-balanced dish, offering nutrients as well as delicious flavor, and you will find it totally satisfying and tasty. Baking is a nice cooking method to use for recipes like this. You could boil the potatoes and pan fry the fish and zucchini but, if you bake it instead, you can layer all the ingredients and cook everything together, which is easier. Serve some coleslaw or salad with this baked fish recipe if you fancy, else it is fine served by itself.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- A New England Girl’s Lobster Roll May 6, 2016
- Homemade Oyster Stew with Cilantro April 22, 2016
- Spaghetti and Clams with Red Sauce April 6, 2016
- Baked Clams Oreganata New England Style April 3, 2016
- Seared Scallops in a Tarragon Cream Sauce March 30, 2016
- Succulent Tempura Fried Crab Legs with Asian Dipping Sauce March 26, 2016
- Southern Fried Oyster Po-Boy Sandwich March 19, 2016
- Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Romano Cheeses March 16, 2016
- Homemade Salmon Burger with Avocado and Pineapple March 14, 2016
- Rhode Island Clam Fritter Recipe March 9, 2016
- Grilled Steak and Lobster with Creamy Mashed Potatoes March 5, 2016
- Cheddar Cheese Tuna Casserole with Mixed Vegetables February 28, 2016
- Home (81391 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (33529 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (26778 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (22393 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (21126 Views)
- Fish and Chips (20306 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (17620 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (17561 Views)