This might be a basic recipe but the flavors go together beautifully. Steelhead trout is the same species of fish as rainbow trout but steelhead trout can be found in saltwater as well as freshwater sources. Steelhead also has great cultural importance to Native American tribes found in the northwest. This fish can be grilled instead of baked; its firm flesh means it will hold together well on a grill and not break up like some of the more delicate fish varieties would.
This is a good dish to make but another option when baking steelhead is to brush over some sweet and sour sauce or barbecue sauce instead of the dill, orange and onion used in this baked steelhead trout recipe. The onion and orange does work nicely though and the tart flavor of the onion becomes sweet the longer you cook it for. The bitterness of the orange does the same, soaking into the steelhead trout and giving it a tropical, fruity flavor, which you will love.
This baked steelhead recipe is good served with boiled potatoes and a couple of vegetables such as broccoli and carrots or zucchini and cauliflower. It is a very healthy recipe so team it with fresh vegetables for a really nutritious dinner. You can switch the white onion for red onion or yellow onion if you prefer, or even try Vidalia onion if you enjoy adding sweet flavors to your easy fish recipes. Any of these would work just fine.
- 2 small steelhead filets or a halved larger filet
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Salt and black pepper
- Strips of orange zest, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the skin from the steelhead, rinse and pat it dry.
- Line a baking dish with foil and arrange the onion slices on it.
- Place the fish on top of the onion. Sprinkle over the dill, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the vegetable oil and orange juice over the fish.
- Cover and seal the fillets in foil and bake for 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillets.
- Garnish the baked filets with the strips of orange zest and serve with cooked potatoes and vegetables.
In this photo, the baked steelhead trout is served with potatoes and vegetables. This results in a very colorful and festive-looking dish, although you can serve the steelhead fish with anything you want, including salad or rice. Steelhead trout has a unique flavor and adding onion, white wine and orange juice makes the dish exciting without being over-seasoned. Keeping it simple means the wonderful flavor of the steelhead trout will shine through and the wine and orange juice will be subtle accents rather than overpowering flavors. This is a nutritious dish as well as a very tasty one.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Best Shrimp Scampi Recipe with Penne November 22, 2014
- Shrimp Scampi with Pasta Recipe November 20, 2014
- Shrimp Fried Rice Chinese Style November 18, 2014
- Diabetic-Friendly Shrimp Stir Fry November 17, 2014
- Herby Salmon Casserole with Sour Cream November 7, 2014
- Poached Salmon with Dill Horseradish Sauce November 5, 2014
- Salmon Patties in a Lemon Cheese Sauce November 2, 2014
- Simple Baked Mexican Fish Filets October 26, 2014
- Home (53585 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (27500 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (19057 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (16371 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (11645 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (10818 Views)
- Fried Lobster Tail Recipes (10094 Views)
- Baked Steelhead Trout Recipe (9141 Views)
- Succulent Seared Scallops Recipe in a Citrus Sauce (8660 Views)
- Delicious Imitation Crab Salad Sandwich (8660 Views)
- Common Seafood SeasoningsJanuary 16, 2015
- The Life Cycle of a SalmonNovember 1, 2014
- The Life-Cycle of a CrawfishOctober 22, 2014
- Shrimp Glossary of Cooking Terms - Shrimp Cooking A - ZOctober 21, 2014
- A Brief History of Shrimp and Shrimp RecipesOctober 21, 2014
- A Closer Look at Shrimp RecipesOctober 21, 2014
- A Complete Guide to Cooking Crab LegsOctober 21, 2014
- A Delicious Guide to the History of Fish RecipesOctober 21, 2014
- All About Calamari - How to Cook CalamariOctober 21, 2014
- An Introduction to Easy Fish RecipesOctober 21, 2014