This recipe features two components – the crunchy, flavorful baked fish sticks, and the tasty homemade coleslaw. Use any whitefish you like for the fish sticks. Cod, hake, or tilapia would work well. The coleslaw is made with cabbage, cilantro, a little bell pepper and for the dressing you will combine adobo sauce, lime, and Greek yogurt.
You can envision how flavorful and creamy this is going to be, and how the lime juice and adobo gives a typical Mexican piquancy which offers an authentic taco experience. The fish sticks are baked instead of deep fried, so they are healthier, but they have all the crunch you would expect from frying. Serve the fish tacos in regular tortillas if you prefer, although the wheat tortillas do offer a nice wholesomeness and they are more unusual. However, if your local store does not sell the wheat kind, you can use white ones and the fish taco recipe will be just as tasty.
Make this fish taco recipe for your family one evening this week and surprise them with this novel meal. If you have fallen into the habit of making the same dishes week in week out, they will love you for making this delicious feast.
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- Zest of a lime
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 thinly sliced white onion
- ¼ diced yellow bell pepper
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ head shredded white cabbage
- Juice of 2 limes
- 8 whole wheat tortillas, warmed, for serving
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 lb center-cut fish filet, in 16 pieces
- 1½ teaspoons Old Bay seasoning, or other seafood seasoning
- 3 lightly beaten egg whites
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Canola oil spray, as needed
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cover a baking sheet with foil and spray the foil with canola oil.
- Combine the flour with the paprika, garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon of Old Bay seasoning in a dish.
- Put the beaten egg whites in another dish, and the panko breadcrumbs in another dish.
- Sprinkle Old Bay seasoning and salt and black pepper over the flour mixture, egg whites, and panko.
- Dip 1 fish piece at a time into the flour, then the egg whites, and finally the panko breadcrumbs.
- Arrange the fish on the prepared baking sheet.
- Spray the fish with canola oil and bake for 8 minutes.
- Flip the fish pieces and cook for another 8 minutes.
- Let them cool for 5 minutes while you make the coleslaw.
- Stir the yogurt, yellow bell pepper, adobo sauce, lime zest, lime juice, and cilantro together.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Add the cabbage and onion, and toss well to combine.
- Add more salt and black pepper if needed.
- Put a couple of pieces of fish in the middle of each tortilla.
- Spoon coleslaw on top, then fold the tortilla edges inwards.
- Serve immediately, 2 tacos per person.
This fish taco recipe is not difficult at all, and you can see from the picture how tempting the combination of crunchy fish sticks, coleslaw, and a wheat tortilla wrap is going to be. This is a satisfying meal and you can either make it as the recipe suggests, or add some sliced tomatoes, sliced avocado, Mexican cheese or other ingredients to the tacos if you like. The fish sticks need to cool before assembling the fish taco recipe, so you can prepare any other garnishes or fillings in that time. If you like fish, you are really going to love this delightful recipe.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- A New England Girl’s Lobster Roll May 6, 2016
- Homemade Oyster Stew with Cilantro April 22, 2016
- Spaghetti and Clams with Red Sauce April 6, 2016
- Baked Clams Oreganata New England Style April 3, 2016
- Seared Scallops in a Tarragon Cream Sauce March 30, 2016
- Succulent Tempura Fried Crab Legs with Asian Dipping Sauce March 26, 2016
- Southern Fried Oyster Po-Boy Sandwich March 19, 2016
- Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Romano Cheeses March 16, 2016
- Homemade Salmon Burger with Avocado and Pineapple March 14, 2016
- Rhode Island Clam Fritter Recipe March 9, 2016
- Grilled Steak and Lobster with Creamy Mashed Potatoes March 5, 2016
- Cheddar Cheese Tuna Casserole with Mixed Vegetables February 28, 2016
- Home (81337 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (33509 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (26706 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (22334 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (21079 Views)
- Fish and Chips (20197 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (17528 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (17440 Views)