This tasty tilapia recipe can be made with a similar fish, like red snapper, if you want to use something else. The nut coating gives the fish a beautiful crunch and the mashed potatoes and vegetables go really well with it. The sweetness of the raspberry sauce is very good with this nut-coated fish and provides a nice texture and flavor contrast.
Grind the nuts in a blender or food processor. They only need to be coarsely ground, not ground to a fine powder, although you can grind them finer if you like. Feel free to switch the almonds for walnuts, cashews or your favorite nuts. Mixed nuts would also work in this baked tilapia recipe. The egg is used for thickening so if you do not have an egg, you can substitute some corn flour dissolved in cold water and it will perform the same function without affecting the flavor. If you want to, you can double the almond crust mixture and keep it in a Ziploc bag for use at a later date. This will save time the next time you make this baked fish recipe.
Use your choice of either fresh or frozen raspberries to make the raspberry sauce. If the raspberries are sour, you can stir in a couple of teaspoons of raspberry preserves or jam at the end, so your sauce has a sweet flavor and not a sour one.
- 4 tilapia filets
- ¾ cup dried breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup almonds, coarsely ground in a blender
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup raspberries
- ⅛ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ cup white sugar
- 4 portions mashed potatoes, to serve
- 4 portions cooked vegetables, to serve
- Wash the fish filets and use paper towels to pat them dry. Sprinkle salt over the fish.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and nuts in a shallow bowl.
- Pour the beaten egg in a second bowl.
- Dredge the fish in the flour and then in the egg mixture.
- Dip them in the breadcrumb mixture and then chill them for half an hour in the refrigerator, so the almond coating can set.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and bake the fish for 20 minutes or until it is cooked through.
- Boil the raspberries, lemon juice, and sugar in a saucepan until the mixture is soft.
- Mash the mixture and then press through a sieve.
- Serve the fish on top of the mashed potatoes, with the vegetables on the side.
- Drizzle the raspberry sauce over the fish.
Whether you serve this delicious baked tilapia recipe with a tossed salad and a glass of white wine, like in the photo, or just by itself, this is a satisfying and delicious meal idea. You can make the coating as fine or as coarse as you like. Some people like to leave the nuts quite coarse, for more of a crunch, and others prefer to grind the nuts into almost a powder, to give the smoother result you can see in the picture. Tilapia is a nice fish to cook with and there are plenty of easy fish recipes and baked fish recipes you can make with this type of fish.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- A New England Girl’s Lobster Roll May 6, 2016
- Homemade Oyster Stew with Cilantro April 22, 2016
- Spaghetti and Clams with Red Sauce April 6, 2016
- Baked Clams Oreganata New England Style April 3, 2016
- Seared Scallops in a Tarragon Cream Sauce March 30, 2016
- Succulent Tempura Fried Crab Legs with Asian Dipping Sauce March 26, 2016
- Southern Fried Oyster Po-Boy Sandwich March 19, 2016
- Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Romano Cheeses March 16, 2016
- Homemade Salmon Burger with Avocado and Pineapple March 14, 2016
- Rhode Island Clam Fritter Recipe March 9, 2016
- Grilled Steak and Lobster with Creamy Mashed Potatoes March 5, 2016
- Cheddar Cheese Tuna Casserole with Mixed Vegetables February 28, 2016
- Home (81334 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (33504 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (26697 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (22322 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (21076 Views)
- Fish and Chips (20183 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (17523 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (17423 Views)