The homemade salsa is beautiful with the cod in this dish, and it is true that tomatoes and cod are used together in a lot of Portuguese cod recipes and coastal European fish recipes. Be careful when you prepare the chili peppers and try not to touch them with your fingers. You can use a knife and fork to cut them up or use a paper towel between your fingers and the chili. After handling them, wash your hands in hot soapy water and do not touch your eyes for a few hours. Keep some of the seeds from the chilies. If your salsa does not have enough fire, you can add a few of them to it, to increase the spice level.
You can use pollack, haddock, sea bass, halibut or another type of firm, white fish in this recipe if you prefer, and it is up to you whether you pan-fry the fish or grill it. If you want to grill cod, the best way to do so is to coat the grill rack with vegetable oil and cook the fish over a medium heat for three minutes or until it is golden brown.
Flip it over carefully and grill the other side until the cod is cooked through. When the color is barely opaque it is done. If you cook it over a charcoal grill, you will give the fish a nice smoky flavor. You can marinate it before grilling, if you like, in a garlic and oil mixture, since the pan-fried cod is cooked in garlic-infused oil.
- 13 oz package of linguine
- 2 lbs cod filet, in 3 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 2 finely diced tomatoes
- ½ finely diced jalapeno, stem, and seeds removed
- ½ finely diced Serrano chili pepper, stem, and seeds removed
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ finely diced red onion
- Juice of half a lime
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Combine the tomatoes, jalapeno, Serrano chili, red onion, lime juice, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Add all but 1 teaspoon of the cilantro.
- If the salsa tastes too spicy, add more chopped tomato.
- If it is not spicy enough, add a few of the chili pepper seeds or a little ground cumin.
- Let it sit for an hour at room temperature, so the flavors can combine.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add a pinch of salt.
- Add the linguine and cook for 8 minutes or until it is al dente (tender but firm).
- Sauté the garlic in the olive oil in a skillet for 2 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Add the cod and cook it, turning once, until it starts to flake.
- Serve the cod on the linguine with the salsa spooned over the fish.
- Sprinkle the reserved cilantro and the parmesan cheese over the top.
This is an easy and flavorful meal, with most of the flavor coming from the salsa. Cod is a delicious white fish with a mild flavor and big flakes. It is seasoned simply in this recipe, with garlic, because it has such a nice taste of its own. If you want to add some moisture or extra flavor to the pasta, you can toss it in a little olive oil or even make a half white wine and half light cream sauce for it, simmering this mixture until it is thick and then tossing the pasta in it. Some people are happy with plain linguine though, as long as there is something tasty on top of it and, in this recipe, there certainly is!
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- A New England Girl’s Lobster Roll May 6, 2016
- Homemade Oyster Stew with Cilantro April 22, 2016
- Spaghetti and Clams with Red Sauce April 6, 2016
- Baked Clams Oreganata New England Style April 3, 2016
- Seared Scallops in a Tarragon Cream Sauce March 30, 2016
- Succulent Tempura Fried Crab Legs with Asian Dipping Sauce March 26, 2016
- Southern Fried Oyster Po-Boy Sandwich March 19, 2016
- Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Romano Cheeses March 16, 2016
- Homemade Salmon Burger with Avocado and Pineapple March 14, 2016
- Rhode Island Clam Fritter Recipe March 9, 2016
- Grilled Steak and Lobster with Creamy Mashed Potatoes March 5, 2016
- Cheddar Cheese Tuna Casserole with Mixed Vegetables February 28, 2016
- Home (81334 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (33504 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (26697 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (22322 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (21076 Views)
- Fish and Chips (20183 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (17523 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (17424 Views)