This is a great recipe and you can cook the burgers on the grill. Alternatively use a griddle pan. Whichever you use, just make sure it is lightly greased because you will not want these tasty salmon burgers to stick. We are using salmon filets here, but if you want to use tuna, cod or another kind of fish, go right ahead.
We are serving homemade tzatziki with the salmon burgers and it is well worth making. Tzatziki is made of yogurt, cucumber, garlic, lemon and mint, and it is refreshing and delicious when paired with fish. You can serve these without other condiments and toppings if you want, but adding tomato, lettuce, red onion and even some alfalfa adds further color and texture to the dish, so consider adding these too.
These salmon burgers are rich in omega-3 oil which are important for good health, and they made a tasty change from regular hamburgers, so if you are tired of regular burgers, or you simply want a change, why not make these? You can use regular mayonnaise instead of making the tzatziki if you prefer, to save time. Fresh salmon is the best option to use, but you could use canned salmon if you drain it really well or thawed salmon if you do the same and make sure all the water is well drained before using it, else the patties will not hold together properly.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 peeled, seeded, diced small cucumber
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1¼ lbs fresh boneless, skinless salmon filets
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 minced green onions
- 3 tablespoons feta cheese
- 1 egg white
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, as needed
- 4 whole wheat buns, 4 lettuce leaves, 4 tomato slices, 4 red onions slices and ¼ cup alfalfa, to serve
- Line a colander with a clean towel and put it over a bowl.
- Strain the yogurt for 30 minutes.
- Line another colander with another towel.
- Combine the cucumber and salt, and strain for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the salt off the cucumber and squeeze dry.
- Combine the yogurt with the cucumber, mint, garlic, 1½ teaspoons of olive oil, and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Chill this tzatziki mixture for half an hour.
- Cut the salmon into chunks and put it in a food processor with the mustard and green onions.
- Pulse a few times to break the fish up, then transfer the mixture into a bowl.
- Add the feta, oregano, egg white and breadcrumbs, and mash the mixture.
- Shape the mixture into 4 patties and brush olive oil over both sides of each one.
- Sprinkle on some salt and black pepper.
- Cook the patties on a medium-hot grill (or in a griddle pan) for 3 or 4 minutes per side.
- Serve right away in the split buns with the lettuce, tomato, red onion, alfalfa, and tzatziki sauce.
These salmon sandwiches offer a wonderful flavor and they are really juicy and delicious. Pairing them with homemade tzatziki gives them a Greek flair, adding a Mediterranean touch which is ideal for the summer. Pile these sandwiches high with your favorite burger toppings and consider serving a Greek salad on the side with feta cubes, black olives and a simple vinaigrette dressing, or you might like to serve them with corn on the cob or even coleslaw, as you prefer. These patties are great when grilled, but if the weather is not so great you can easily cook them in a griddle pan.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- A New England Girl’s Lobster Roll May 6, 2016
- Homemade Oyster Stew with Cilantro April 22, 2016
- Spaghetti and Clams with Red Sauce April 6, 2016
- Baked Clams Oreganata New England Style April 3, 2016
- Seared Scallops in a Tarragon Cream Sauce March 30, 2016
- Succulent Tempura Fried Crab Legs with Asian Dipping Sauce March 26, 2016
- Southern Fried Oyster Po-Boy Sandwich March 19, 2016
- Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Romano Cheeses March 16, 2016
- Homemade Salmon Burger with Avocado and Pineapple March 14, 2016
- Rhode Island Clam Fritter Recipe March 9, 2016
- Grilled Steak and Lobster with Creamy Mashed Potatoes March 5, 2016
- Cheddar Cheese Tuna Casserole with Mixed Vegetables February 28, 2016
- Home (81337 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (33509 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (26704 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (22331 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (21079 Views)
- Fish and Chips (20197 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (17528 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (17440 Views)