Like most other types of fish, catfish can be prepared in a variety of ways, including baking, grilling, and sautéing, frying and poaching. With the following recipe, the catfish is coated and seasoned before being rolled in breadcrumbs and baked, and this is a typical preparation method for catfish in the southern United States. The most commonly eaten catfish varieties are the blue catfish and the channel catfish.
Although this fish is usually breaded in the United States, it is cooked differently in different countries. Catfish is cooked like carp in Europe and grilled in southeast Asia. It is fried with spices or cooked in a gravy in other Asian countries and made into a curry in India. This fish is high in vitamin D but shunned by observant Jews and anyone else who won’t eat scale-free fish. For the rest of you, catfish make a delicious dinner, especially when breaded and flavored with Creole seasoning and buttermilk.
Catfish cooks very quickly so keep an eye on it. Once the fish flakes, it is done. You can serve this oven fried catfish recipe with a wedge of lemon or even some homemade tomato salsa. It turns out deliciously crispy and taste on the outside and soft and delicate on the inside. If you have some catfish to use, this oven fried catfish recipe is a great way to make a wonderful dinner.
- 1 lb skinless catfish fillets, ¾ inch thick
- 1 beaten egg white
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Cajun Creole seasoning
- ⅓ cup dry breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup yellow cornmeal
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F and put the oven rack a little above the center of the oven.
- Cut the catfish into 2 inch squares.
- Mix the egg white and buttermilk in one bowl.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the Cajun Creole seasoning and cornmeal in another bowl.
- Dip the fish into the buttermilk and egg mixture, then into the cornmeal mixture.
- Put it in an ungreased 9 x 13 inch pan and spray cooking spray on it.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the fish flakes easily.
- Serve with the lemon wedges.
Hot, crispy, breaded fish is a really great example of comfort food. Using cornmeal breading and Cajun Creole spices adds a great color and flavor to your catfish filets and the above recipe is simple to prepare. Deep fried fish might not be the healthiest choice, which is why the catfish in the above recipe is oven-fried. There are different oven-fried fish recipes to choose from but this one is especially flavorful and it is amazing served with fries and salad. The salad leaves in the picture are colorful and appetizing and this recipe is sure to delight the whole family.
Current average ratings.
Leave a Reply
- Baked Fish Recipes December 22, 2013
- Shrimp on the Grill Recipes December 21, 2013
- Fettuccini Carbonara Recipe December 16, 2013
- Baked Salmon Fish Cakes December 15, 2013
- Fish and Rice Bake Recipe December 14, 2013
- Salmon on the Grill Recipes December 13, 2013
- Grilled Salmon with Citrus Sauce December 13, 2013
- Fish and Chips December 7, 2013
- Home (28713 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (16197 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (15317 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (7228 Views)
- Baked Steelhead Trout Recipe (6556 Views)
- Delicious Imitation Crab Salad Sandwich (6070 Views)
- Fried Lobster Tail Recipes (6066 Views)
- Succulent Seared Scallops Recipe in a Citrus Sauce (5454 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (5449 Views)
- Baked Flounder Recipe with Lemon Juice (5360 Views)