Although not every fish batter recipe uses milk, the following recipe gives a wonderfully light, crisp result. This recipe makes enough for about two pounds of fish so you can halve it if you are not cooking that much. Use cod, tilapia, hake, haddock, or any other tasty whitefish. Dip the fish filets into the milk batter, then let any excess drip off and deep-fry the fish until it is golden and crunchy.
Fish and chips is a classic British recipe and if you want to recreate that, then make some thick-cut fries, and serve the fish and chips with onion rings or peas. Coleslaw is another side dish option, or you could go with corn on the cob or even potato salad instead of the fries.
A lot of people have their own favorite fish batter recipe, perhaps one that has been passed down the generations, which their mother and grandmother swore by, but this recipe is also very good and if you are looking for something a bit different you might like to give it a try. Fried fish always makes great comfort food and you could even try this with seafood or chicken, because it is a multipurpose batter.
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- 2 lbs whitefish filets or chunks
- Whisk the flour with the water, milk, salt, and baking powder in a bowl until smooth.
- Dip your fish into the batter and deep-fry it until done.
Adding milk to a fish batter recipe is not something which every home cook does, although it does give the batter a great flavor and texture. Beer batter is another one which might sound strange but works really well, because you do not taste the beer in the finished batter but the bubbles in it make the batter very light. Use fish chunks like in the photo, or larger fish filets if you prefer. Deep-frying transforms this creamy liquid to a golden, crunchy crust, which envelops your fish perfectly, to keep it soft, moist, and delicious inside.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- A New England Girl’s Lobster Roll May 6, 2016
- Homemade Oyster Stew with Cilantro April 22, 2016
- Spaghetti and Clams with Red Sauce April 6, 2016
- Baked Clams Oreganata New England Style April 3, 2016
- Seared Scallops in a Tarragon Cream Sauce March 30, 2016
- Succulent Tempura Fried Crab Legs with Asian Dipping Sauce March 26, 2016
- Southern Fried Oyster Po-Boy Sandwich March 19, 2016
- Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Romano Cheeses March 16, 2016
- Homemade Salmon Burger with Avocado and Pineapple March 14, 2016
- Rhode Island Clam Fritter Recipe March 9, 2016
- Grilled Steak and Lobster with Creamy Mashed Potatoes March 5, 2016
- Cheddar Cheese Tuna Casserole with Mixed Vegetables February 28, 2016
- Home (81333 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (33504 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (26697 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (22322 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (21076 Views)
- Fish and Chips (20183 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (17523 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (17423 Views)