These cod and corn fritters make a nice change from the easy fish recipes you might be more used to making. You do not have to use cod for them; you can use any white fish. You will need cooked cod for making this fish fritters recipe so if you have leftover cooked fish instead, you can use that for the same results.
Drained, canned, or thawed corn is fine – it does not have to be fresh. The lime, curry powder, and chili add a touch of the East to these tasty fish fritters and these oriental treats are perfect when paired with a homemade sweet chili sauce recipe. Of course, you can use a store-bought chili sauce instead of making it, but homemade chili sauce is extra nice.
Use mint and basil in the chili sauce instead of the lime leaves if you prefer. Serve these delicious cod and corn fritters with fries or potato salad. They would also be nice with boiled rice.
If you usually follow the same recipe for cod cakes or tuna patties, you might like to try this recipe because it offers an oriental touch which is unusual, and the combination of ingredients works really well to bring a well-balanced flavor and delicious meal to the dinner table.
- 1 cup flaked, cooked cod
- 1 finely chopped kaffir lime leaf
- 2 beaten eggs
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 finely chopped chili pepper
- 1 cup corn kernels
- ¼ cup oil, for frying
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 10 garlic cloves
- 5 red chilies
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 ½ oz fish sauce
- 1 ½ oz tamari
- 3 ½ oz cider vinegar
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 3 lemongrass stems
- 8 lime leaves
- First make the chili sauce.
- De-stem the chilies and peel the garlic and ginger. Add them to a food processor with the lemongrass, lime leaves, and cilantro.
- Blend to a coarse paste.
- Heat the water and sugar in a pan until the sugar dissolves, then turn up the heat and boil the mixture for 5 minutes or until it turns to caramel.
- Stir in the chili paste mixture and bring it back to a boil.
- Add the cider vinegar, tamari and fish sauce and simmer the mixture for 2 minutes. Let it cool while you prepare the fritters.
- Combine the cod, lime leaf, eggs, curry powder, chili, and corn with a little salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and drop tablespoons of the batter into the hot oil. Keep the fritters about an inch apart so they can spread out as they cook.
- Fry the fritters until they are golden brown underneath, then flip them over and fry until the second side is browned.
- Drain the fritters on kitchen paper and serve them with the cooled chili sauce.
As you can see from the photo, adding corn to these tasty treats makes them more nutritious. These are halfway between fish cakes and fritters, so call them what you like – they are delicious whatever the name! Serve them with a healthy salad, like in the picture, or with your favorite eastern side dishes like fried rice or noodles. These oriental fish fritters are wonderful served with chili sauce or even lemon mayonnaise and you will love their fresh, homemade flavor. These cod fish cakes are easy to make and the corn makes them extra special.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- A New England Girl’s Lobster Roll May 6, 2016
- Homemade Oyster Stew with Cilantro April 22, 2016
- Spaghetti and Clams with Red Sauce April 6, 2016
- Baked Clams Oreganata New England Style April 3, 2016
- Seared Scallops in a Tarragon Cream Sauce March 30, 2016
- Succulent Tempura Fried Crab Legs with Asian Dipping Sauce March 26, 2016
- Southern Fried Oyster Po-Boy Sandwich March 19, 2016
- Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Romano Cheeses March 16, 2016
- Homemade Salmon Burger with Avocado and Pineapple March 14, 2016
- Rhode Island Clam Fritter Recipe March 9, 2016
- Grilled Steak and Lobster with Creamy Mashed Potatoes March 5, 2016
- Cheddar Cheese Tuna Casserole with Mixed Vegetables February 28, 2016
- Home (81334 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (33504 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (26697 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (22322 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (21076 Views)
- Fish and Chips (20183 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (17523 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (17424 Views)