Battered fish is a popular Korean snack. Known as “saengsun jun” in the local language, this Korean delicacy features fried fish in an egg and flour batter. Pan-frying is similar to deep frying but in this recipe the fish is pan-fried, which means the oil should come halfway up the fish rather than immerse it completely. A heavy cast iron pan is the best thing to pan-fry your fish in but do bear in mind that these pans become seasoned over time to whatever you cook in them.
If you always use the same cast iron pan to fry rice, pasta, or potatoes, the starch buildup will season the pan over time, making it nonstick to starchy foods. If you use fats and oils to cook fish or meat, the pan will become nonstick to grease. If you combine the two – starches and oils – then nearly everything will stick to the pan which is not what you want. A heavy cast iron pan will absorb and hold on to the heat, to help maintain the oil at a steady temperature.
Serve the fish as it is or make a tasty dipping sauce for it. if you want to make a typical Korean dipping sauce, stir together 1/3 cup of soy sauce, a teaspoon each of sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, and seaweed flakes, half a teaspoon of sesame seeds and some sliced green onion and red pepper flakes. Use Korean soy sauce or another Asian variety if you can; a lot of the American ones are too salty. Alternatively you can serve chili sauce, mayonnaise or tartar sauce with the fish. Serve some rice or fries as a side dish, and maybe some green salad or your favorite veggies.
- 1 lb flounder filets
- 2 beaten eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Canola oil, for frying
- Season the fish with salt and black pepper.
- Coat the fish evenly in flour, and then dip it into the eggs to cover evenly.
- Heat ½ inch of canola oil in a skillet over a low heat, or enough to cover the fish halfway.
- Add a tiny bit of egg to the pan.
- If the oil bubbles around it, it is hot enough.
- Add the fish to the hot oil and cook for 4 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown.
- Flip it over and cook until done.
This fish is presented very artistically in the picture and if you want to recreate this you will need to arrange halved cucumber slices around the outside of a serving platter and add finely minced red bell pepper and some fresh lemon slices and parsley sprigs. Although you can see a whole pan-fried flounder in this photo, you can either use a whole fish or filets. Flounder comes in different sizes and the larger ones are better cut into filets. This delicious pan-fried flounder recipe is easy to make and tastes crunchy on the outside and juicy and soft inside.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Best Shrimp Scampi Recipe with Penne November 22, 2014
- Shrimp Scampi with Pasta Recipe November 20, 2014
- Shrimp Fried Rice Chinese Style November 18, 2014
- Diabetic-Friendly Shrimp Stir Fry November 17, 2014
- Herby Salmon Casserole with Sour Cream November 7, 2014
- Poached Salmon with Dill Horseradish Sauce November 5, 2014
- Salmon Patties in a Lemon Cheese Sauce November 2, 2014
- Simple Baked Mexican Fish Filets October 26, 2014
- Home (53585 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (27500 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (19057 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (16372 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (11646 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (10818 Views)
- Fried Lobster Tail Recipes (10095 Views)
- Baked Steelhead Trout Recipe (9142 Views)
- Succulent Seared Scallops Recipe in a Citrus Sauce (8662 Views)
- Delicious Imitation Crab Salad Sandwich (8660 Views)
- Common Seafood SeasoningsJanuary 16, 2015
- The Life Cycle of a SalmonNovember 1, 2014
- The Life-Cycle of a CrawfishOctober 22, 2014
- Shrimp Glossary of Cooking Terms - Shrimp Cooking A - ZOctober 21, 2014
- A Brief History of Shrimp and Shrimp RecipesOctober 21, 2014
- A Closer Look at Shrimp RecipesOctober 21, 2014
- A Complete Guide to Cooking Crab LegsOctober 21, 2014
- A Delicious Guide to the History of Fish RecipesOctober 21, 2014
- All About Calamari - How to Cook CalamariOctober 21, 2014
- An Introduction to Easy Fish RecipesOctober 21, 2014