Homemade ratatouille recipes are really special and you simply cannot get the same flavor from a jar of ratatouille. Making your own also gives you ultimate control over the ingredients. In the following ratatouille recipe, we use eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, and garlic with exciting flavors like fresh herbs, chili, and anchovies. Remember to remove the chili pepper before you serve the ratatouille. In fact, you can leave it out if you do not want a spicy taste. You can swap the tomatoes for two pints of cherry tomatoes if you prefer to use those.
The spicy, lively-flavored ratatouille is the perfect side dish for the fish. The cod in this recipe is kept very plain, to allow you to really appreciate the unique flavor of this fish. Season the fish with salt, pepper and a little flour and you will really be able to taste it when you serve it with the delicious ratatouille.
Decorate the plates with a wedge of lemon and some salad leaves. Lamb’s lettuce is a good choice. This type of lettuce, which is also known as Lewiston corn salad, field salad, fetticus, Rapunzel or nut lettuce, is nutritious; in fact it contains three times as much vitamin C as regular lettuce. The reason it is sometimes known as “corn salad” is because it grows as a weed in wheat fields.
- 4 cod filets, 6 oz each
- Flour, for dusting
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 lemon wedges, for garnish
- Lamb's lettuce (or similar salad leaves), for garnish
- ⅓ cup plus ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 finely minced anchovy filets
- 1 lb zucchini, in ½ inch cubes
- Leaves from 4 thyme sprigs
- Chopped leaves from ½ bunch basil
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 finely chopped onions
- 3 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 dried chili
- 8 roughly chopped tomatoes
- 1 lb eggplant, in ½ inch cubes
- Balsamic vinegar, to taste
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Line a platter with paper towels.
- Heat ⅓ cup of the olive oil in a pan over a moderate heat.
- Add the eggplant and some salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes or until it is very soft.
- Drain the eggplant on the platter.
- Cook the zucchini in ¼ cup olive oil in the pan, and then add it to the eggplant on the platter when it is tender.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and then sauté the garlic, onions, anchovies and herbs for 6 minutes or until the onions are golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
- Return the zucchini and eggplant to the pan.
- Split open the chili down its length and add that too.
- Season with salt and pepper and let the ratatouille cook over a low heat for 20 minutes or until it is pulpy and mushy.
- Stir in a splash of balsamic vinegar and let the mixture cool to room temperature. Remove the chili pepper and discard it.
- Season the fish filets with salt and pepper, as well as a dusting of flour. Shake off any excess flour.
- Pan-fry the cod in some olive oil in a skillet for a couple of minutes per side or until it is opaque and flaky.
- Serve the cod on top of the ratatouille.
- Garnish with salad leaves and lemon wedges.
As the picture shows, this is an intriguing and appetizing dish. You can see how the lemon and lamb’s lettuce add color. In the photo there is a little alfalfa underneath the lamb’s lettuce. If you have some then use it; if not, do not buy it especially, since it is only for garnish. The lemon is great served over the cod because the fish in this recipe is not flavored. It only has salt, pepper, and flour added to it, nothing more. This is one of the best cod recipes if you enjoy the natural flavor of cod and one of the best ratatouille recipes if you want to know how to make ratatouille which is both flavorful and healthy.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- A New England Girl’s Lobster Roll May 6, 2016
- Homemade Oyster Stew with Cilantro April 22, 2016
- Spaghetti and Clams with Red Sauce April 6, 2016
- Baked Clams Oreganata New England Style April 3, 2016
- Seared Scallops in a Tarragon Cream Sauce March 30, 2016
- Succulent Tempura Fried Crab Legs with Asian Dipping Sauce March 26, 2016
- Southern Fried Oyster Po-Boy Sandwich March 19, 2016
- Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Romano Cheeses March 16, 2016
- Homemade Salmon Burger with Avocado and Pineapple March 14, 2016
- Rhode Island Clam Fritter Recipe March 9, 2016
- Grilled Steak and Lobster with Creamy Mashed Potatoes March 5, 2016
- Cheddar Cheese Tuna Casserole with Mixed Vegetables February 28, 2016
- Home (81337 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (33509 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (26706 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (22333 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (21079 Views)
- Fish and Chips (20197 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (17528 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (17440 Views)