Cooking fish on a wooden plank gives it a beautiful smoky flavor. You can use cedar, hickory, oak, or ash for this. If you are using a gas grill, cooking your fish on a wooden plank ensures it will get the same smoky flavor as charcoal-grilled fish has. If you are using a charcoal grill, the plank adds an extra dimension to the smokiness and you can serve the fish on the plank if you want to present something unusual to your dinner guests.
The following recipe teams the plank-grilled halibut with vegetable kabobs and you have free rein with the kabobs so, if you want to swap the Italian dressing for your favorite marinade or use different vegetables, go for it. This is a very simple way of cooking fish, since you just need to season the fish and put it on the plank. Put the whole lot on the grill and the fish will be done in about twelve minutes. Depending on the size of your plank, you might have to cook the fish in batches.
If you want to use the oven instead, preheat it to 350 degrees F and cook the fish in the center of the oven, until it is done. Whether you soak the plank in water, cider, beer, or wine, it is important that you do soak it. Combine two of these to make the soaking liquid if you want. The liquid you choose also adds to the flavor but, of course, putting wood on a hot barbecue grill without soaking it first is going to result in the wood catching fire and burning, which is not what you want to happen when making a plank-grilled fish recipe.
- 4 halibut filets, 8 oz each
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 box mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ zucchini
- 1 orange bell pepper
- Small bottle of Italian salad dressing or similar
- 1 cedar plank
- 4 long metal skewers (or 8 short ones)
- Chop or slice the vegetables and toss them with the Italian salad dressing.
- Let them marinate for 3 hours then thread them on to the kabob skewers.
- Soak the plank in cold water (or wine, cider or beer) for an hour.
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Rub the oil over the fish and then rub the salt and pepper into it.
- Put the halibut filets on the cedar plank (skin side-down if they have skin).
- Grill the fish on the plank for 12 minutes or until it is done.
- You do not need to flip it.
- Cook the vegetable kabobs on the grill grate (or on the plank if there is enough space) until the vegetables are tender.
- Serve the plank-grilled halibut with the vegetable kabobs.
Few things beat grilling if you want to make cooking fun and using a plank to grill your fish on makes it even better fun! Halibut is a lean fish, meaning it’s low in fat, and you hardly need to add anything to the fish (maybe just a little salt and pepper) to flavor it because halibut has its own wonderful aroma and taste. The vegetable kabobs can be made with any vegetables you have in the refrigerator but using brightly colored veggies makes them look so appealing. This extremely healthy and delicious halibut recipe is cooked alongside vegetable kabobs. Who says healthy food cannot be tasty?
Leave a Reply
- Easy Cod Croquettes August 31, 2014
- 4-Herb Baked Salmon Recipe August 26, 2014
- Gourmet Roasted Salmon with Pea Puree August 24, 2014
- Lime and Chili Tilapia Taco Recipe August 19, 2014
- Baked Fish Recipes December 22, 2013
- Shrimp on the Grill Recipes December 21, 2013
- Fettuccini Carbonara Recipe December 16, 2013
- Baked Salmon Fish Cakes December 15, 2013
- Home (52811 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (27293 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (18894 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (15941 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (11386 Views)
- Fried Lobster Tail Recipes (9959 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (9690 Views)
- Baked Steelhead Trout Recipe (8893 Views)
- Succulent Seared Scallops Recipe in a Citrus Sauce (8520 Views)
- Delicious Imitation Crab Salad Sandwich (8504 Views)
- How to Brine Shrimp for Shrimp RecipesAugust 28, 2014
- How to Make the Very Best Salmon RecipesAugust 20, 2014
- Great Cooking Tips for Succulent Salmon RecipesAugust 20, 2014
- Why Homemade Shrimp Recipes are Wonderfully UniqueAugust 16, 2014
- Recipe PublishingJuly 14, 2014
- CrabJanuary 28, 2014
- Crab SaladJanuary 28, 2014
- Cold Crab SaladJanuary 28, 2014
- Crab RecipesJanuary 28, 2014
- Crab ArticlesJanuary 28, 2014