In my house of guys beef is almost sacred and the thought of messing with their beloved cow burgers is fighting words especially if you tell them it is going to be fish for diner. Now the one exception to this rule is salmon they all like it and I can get them to walk away from cow for a night by serving up these grilled salmon burgers. Even the pickiest of them is onboard with grilled pineapple it is just so sweet and juice and offers the perfect balance to the barbecue sauce and the Dijon mustard.
I love the technique of a thin layer of Dijon mustard and then drizzled with agave on it. I use to do it with honey but with my husband becoming diabetic it was a nice discovery to use the agave is a real good switch out for the honey. If you have not had the chance or inkling to try it before it is really a good sweetener (except in coffee my husband tells me) it’s kind of a cross between honey and sugar so it will take care of any sweet tooth out there but it is so much more diabetic friendly.
To round this out I had to sneak some avocado in I just love them and with the other stuff in there even the guys will go for it. I personally like the little hass avocadoes better then the bigger ones I think they have a nicer flavor but you use whatever kind you like. Now I cubed it in my recipe but you could always take and slice them and toss them on the grill along with the other stuff. Grilled avocado is lovely and another one of those things most don’t think of at first but it really is worth a try to see which you like better. Now it is easier to slice them in half the long way and remove the seed but if you want burger type rings use a serrated knife and cut them across then just take a paring knife make a small slit in the skin and peel it around and push out the seed bit from the middle. Slightly less ripe avocados work better for grilling then real ripe ones.
- 2 pounds salmon filet, skin removed cut into burger shape
- Dijon mustard
- Agave nectar
- Granulated garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices fresh pineapple, grilled
- 1 avocado, cubed
- Boston bib Lettuce
- 4 burger buns or Kaiser Rolls, toasted
- Honey Barbecue sauce
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Remove the skin from the salmon filet and with a cookie cutter the size of your buns cut out round burger shapes from the salmon.
- Top this with a thin layer of the Dijon mustard, and then in a cross hatch pattern drizzle a little agave nectar on this.
- Sprinkle this with a bit of granulated garlic and then season to personal preference with a small amount of salt and then some fresh ground black pepper.
- Place these on the grill seasoned side up and grill for about 4 to 5 minutes, then with a spatula flip and grill until salmon just flakes and is mostly cooked it will continue to cook when removed from the grill so do not overcook.
- On a separate part of the grill place your pineapple slices and grill on both sides about as long as the salmon.
- If desired toast the buns or rolls for a few minutes careful not to burn them.
- On the bottom bun place a lettuce leave and top this with your salmon burger.
- Next add the cubed avocado and top this with a generous portion of the honey barbecue sauce.
- Place one of the pineapple slices on this and cover with the top bun or roll and serve.
Once you get a look at this salmon burger recipe it might just start changing your mind about a burger always having to be beef and once you get a bite of its tropical blend of ingredients you may never go back to plain burgers again. This burger is a bit different and uses some things to make it up that we don’t always think of first when we decide to use the grill. But I am here to tell you if you like pineapple you will love pineapple on the grill. The grill brings out the best in this tropical fruit and will change your mind about fruit and the grill forever.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- A New England Girl’s Lobster Roll May 6, 2016
- Homemade Oyster Stew with Cilantro April 22, 2016
- Spaghetti and Clams with Red Sauce April 6, 2016
- Baked Clams Oreganata New England Style April 3, 2016
- Seared Scallops in a Tarragon Cream Sauce March 30, 2016
- Succulent Tempura Fried Crab Legs with Asian Dipping Sauce March 26, 2016
- Southern Fried Oyster Po-Boy Sandwich March 19, 2016
- Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Romano Cheeses March 16, 2016
- Homemade Salmon Burger with Avocado and Pineapple March 14, 2016
- Rhode Island Clam Fritter Recipe March 9, 2016
- Grilled Steak and Lobster with Creamy Mashed Potatoes March 5, 2016
- Cheddar Cheese Tuna Casserole with Mixed Vegetables February 28, 2016
- Home (81337 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (33509 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (26706 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (22333 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (21079 Views)
- Fish and Chips (20197 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (17528 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (17440 Views)