A lot of people want to know where to find the best healthy fish recipes and the following one is great if you are looking for a low fat dinner. The fish is steamed gently with bok choy and then served with a homemade chili soy sauce. You will need a steamer for making this recipe but if you enjoy easy fish recipes you will find that there are plenty of recipes for steamed fish that you can use your steamer for.
Use any kind of whitefish filets you like for this recipe. Chiliean sea bass and halibut are especially good but there are also cheaper options like tilapia or red snapper which are very nice too. You can even steam a whole fish for this recipe. If you want to do that, begin with a gutted, cleaned fish and bear in mind it might take up to half an hour to cook, even if it is not that big. The chili soy sauce is made with garlic, chili, ginger and more. You can make it as mild or as spicy as you want. The semi-sweet flavor of the sauce is beautiful with the savory bok choy and fish flavors and this is an elegant dish, if you take care to make the presentation good.
Steaming is an alternative to baking, pan-frying, deep-frying, grilling, baking, poaching, and roasting and it is ideal for delicate fish filets which would fall to pieces on the grill. Poaching is another example of a good cooking technique for such fish, because there is no need to flip it over. This flavorful recipe can be served with white rice on the side. Jasmine rice would be nice with this steamed whitefish recipe.
- 8 oz whitefish filets (sea bass, cod, halibut, red snapper, or tilapia are all good)
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced ginger
- 4 oz bok choy, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro leaves
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoons white sugar
- Salt and black pepper
- Cut the fish filets into serving portions and season them with salt and black pepper.
- Line a steamer with parchment paper and put the filets in there.
- Put the bok choy on top of the fish.
- Cover and steam for 12 minutes or until the fish is done.
- Bring the water, chili powder, cilantro, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, and sugar to a boil in a small pan.
- Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Arrange the fish and bok choy on serving plates and pour the chili sauce over the top.
This elegant steamed whitefish recipe is both colorful and appetizing. If you are looking for healthy meal ideas, what about investigating some steamed fish recipes? You can steam various things in a steamer, not just fish, so this piece of kitchenware would be a good investment for keen cooks and even complete beginners in the kitchen, since it is so easy to steam food. You can cook vegetables in your steamer, with the fish. This delicious recipe can be made with any kind of fish and you can make it super-spicy or relatively mild, depending on your palate.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
6 Responses to Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish
Leave a Reply
- A New England Girl’s Lobster Roll May 6, 2016
- Homemade Oyster Stew with Cilantro April 22, 2016
- Spaghetti and Clams with Red Sauce April 6, 2016
- Baked Clams Oreganata New England Style April 3, 2016
- Seared Scallops in a Tarragon Cream Sauce March 30, 2016
- Succulent Tempura Fried Crab Legs with Asian Dipping Sauce March 26, 2016
- Southern Fried Oyster Po-Boy Sandwich March 19, 2016
- Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Romano Cheeses March 16, 2016
- Homemade Salmon Burger with Avocado and Pineapple March 14, 2016
- Rhode Island Clam Fritter Recipe March 9, 2016
- Grilled Steak and Lobster with Creamy Mashed Potatoes March 5, 2016
- Cheddar Cheese Tuna Casserole with Mixed Vegetables February 28, 2016
- Home (81342 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (33511 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (26718 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (22342 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (21084 Views)
- Fish and Chips (20216 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (17530 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (17468 Views)