This simple dish pairs scallops with potato and celery puree, along with a splash of lemon juice for a simple appetizer or light meal. You will need large diver scallops to make this, along with rosemary sprigs which are going to act as your skewers, so all the lovely rosemary flavor goes into the scallops. Some people like to add cantaloupe to the plate too, for contrast.
The scallops only take a few minutes on the grill, and you can also grill some lemon halves, so you can squeeze the juice over the scallops. If you prefer a potato salad rather than the potato and celery root puree, that would also be fine, or even a little cooked rice, just to have something starchy the scallops can sit on when you present them. There is no doubt this is an eye-catching recipe which would be good before a meat course.
If you did want to turn it into an entrée though, you could double up on the scallops and potato celery puree, and perhaps add some salad on the side or otherwise how about some steamed vegetables? That would make the dish filling enough for a main course. You can use either fresh or thawed scallops here, but if you are thawing them, ensure they are well thawed and you have mopped off any excess water, because frozen scallops do hold on to a lot of water when they are frozen, and then they do not crisp up so well when cooked.
- 12 large diver scallops, side muscle removed
- 4 sprigs of rosemary (about 6 inches)
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 large lemon, halved crosswise
- Cantaloupe melon balls (optional)
- Chives, for garnish
- 2 peeled, chopped Yukon Gold potatoes
- ½ peeled, diced celery root
- 3 tablespoons butter, or as needed
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Meanwhile put the potatoes and celery in a pan with enough water to cover.
- Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Drain and mash in the butter until you get a nice texture.
- You can make it creamy and smooth or have a more rustic texture.
- Add salt to taste.
- Thread 3 scallops on to each rosemary sprig and drizzle with some oil.
- Grind some salt and black pepper over them.
- Put the lemon halves on the grill cut side down.
- Grill the scallops for 3 minutes per side or until just opaque.
- Divide the potatoes between 4 plates, top with the scallops and squeeze the lemon juice on top.
- You can add a few cantaloupe melon balls to the plates if you want.
- Decorate each plate with a couple of fresh chives.
Scallops are always a nice way to begin the meal in style, and this appetizer is sure to get everyone licking their lips in anticipation. The delicate lemon and rosemary flavors pair wonderfully with the scallops and the potato and celery puree is the perfect pairing here. We also like to add a few small melon balls and a drizzle of lemon juice, or sometimes another drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, around the plate. Choosing seafood to begin a meal is always nice because there are plenty of recipes which are nice and light, allowing everyone to enjoy the main course without feeling too full.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- A New England Girl’s Lobster Roll May 6, 2016
- Homemade Oyster Stew with Cilantro April 22, 2016
- Spaghetti and Clams with Red Sauce April 6, 2016
- Baked Clams Oreganata New England Style April 3, 2016
- Seared Scallops in a Tarragon Cream Sauce March 30, 2016
- Succulent Tempura Fried Crab Legs with Asian Dipping Sauce March 26, 2016
- Southern Fried Oyster Po-Boy Sandwich March 19, 2016
- Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Romano Cheeses March 16, 2016
- Homemade Salmon Burger with Avocado and Pineapple March 14, 2016
- Rhode Island Clam Fritter Recipe March 9, 2016
- Grilled Steak and Lobster with Creamy Mashed Potatoes March 5, 2016
- Cheddar Cheese Tuna Casserole with Mixed Vegetables February 28, 2016
- Home (81334 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (33505 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (26699 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (22326 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (21076 Views)
- Fish and Chips (20183 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (17523 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (17430 Views)