These tasty shrimp kabobs also feature a trio of bell peppers for plenty of color, as well as onion. To further enhance the flavor, the kabob ingredients are marinated in a lemon and parsley mixture before being threaded on to skewers. Feel free to change the ingredients if you like. Zucchini and mushrooms grill just as well on kabobs as bell peppers, and you can try using Vidalia onions or another sweet variety.
The kabobs are cooked on a cedar plank which gives them a mouthwatering smoky flavor, even more so than just using the grill. Cedar planks are available from specialist cooking stores and you can also cook salmon on them, or other kinds of fish or seafood. If you have never used one on the grill before you might like to investigate them and find out what they can do for your food.
This is a great appetizer recipe, and something everyone will enjoy before you put the chicken, burgers, and steaks on the grill. Shrimp kabobs are great for whetting the appetite before the meat comes out, and these are really colorful and nice-looking too. You might even be able to persuade the kids to try one, even if they usually refuse seafood.
- 1 lb shelled, deveined large shrimp
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1½ teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced lemon zest
- ½ green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 2½ by ¾ inch pieces
- ½ yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 2½ by ¾ inch pieces
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 2½ by ¾ inch pieces
- Salt, to taste
- Soak a cedar plank in water according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Whisk together the black pepper, garlic, lemon zest, parsley and oil in a bowl.
- Transfer 2 tablespoons of this mixture to a small bowl, then add the bell pepper and stir to coat evenly.
- Add the shrimp to the remaining mixture and stir to coat evenly.
- Cover both bowls with plastic wrap and refrigerate for ½ hour.
- If you are using wooden skewers, then soak them in water to cover for ½ hour.
- Preheat the grill to medium-hot.
- It is a good idea to have a spray bottle of water ready in case there are any flare-ups on the plank, and then you can extinguish them easily.
- Put the plank on the grill, close the lid, and heat until the plank starts to crackle and smoke.
- Thread the shrimp, bell peppers, and onions on to skewers, alternating the pieces and making sure everything lies flat against the skewers.
- Season with salt and arrange the skewers on the plank.
- Cook, turning once, until the shrimp are lightly browned and cooked through and the bell pepper has softened.
- This will take a couple of minutes per side.
Serve your finished shrimp kabobs with a wild rice salad if you want to make them more filling and transform them from an appetizer into a main dish. Simply stir citrus zest and juice into cooled, cooked rice, along with chopped fresh herbs and a splash of extra-virgin olive oil to make the rice salad. You can see from the photo how colorful these shrimp kabobs are when you use bell peppers, and of course this also adds extra nutrition. These kabobs are really easy to make and you will love the array of flavors and textures they offer.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- A New England Girl’s Lobster Roll May 6, 2016
- Homemade Oyster Stew with Cilantro April 22, 2016
- Spaghetti and Clams with Red Sauce April 6, 2016
- Baked Clams Oreganata New England Style April 3, 2016
- Seared Scallops in a Tarragon Cream Sauce March 30, 2016
- Succulent Tempura Fried Crab Legs with Asian Dipping Sauce March 26, 2016
- Southern Fried Oyster Po-Boy Sandwich March 19, 2016
- Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Romano Cheeses March 16, 2016
- Homemade Salmon Burger with Avocado and Pineapple March 14, 2016
- Rhode Island Clam Fritter Recipe March 9, 2016
- Grilled Steak and Lobster with Creamy Mashed Potatoes March 5, 2016
- Cheddar Cheese Tuna Casserole with Mixed Vegetables February 28, 2016
- Home (81343 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (33513 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (26721 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (22343 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (21089 Views)
- Fish and Chips (20218 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (17535 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (17477 Views)