This is a very special recipe because it is quite unusual. It is also great if you have a crowd to feed. The reason this shrimp and grits bake makes perfect party food is that the recipe serves ten people. If you are serving this at a buffet, count on it serving twenty, since people will help themselves to a range of dishes, not just this one.
If you like cheesy baked dishes, you will love the flavor of this one, and so will everyone else. Serving this makes a change from mac and cheese, meatloaf, or all those other recipes which seem to appear on the dinner table again and again. Not that there is anything wrong with serving up family favorites of course, but sometimes it is nice to give your loved ones a treat and make something different for them to experience.
This fantastic recipe is very simple to make and you do not need any strange ingredients for it. Actually most of the ingredients should already be in your pantry or refrigerator. You can use canned or thawed shrimp if you like, or drop some raw ones into boiling water for a minute or two, or until they turn pink. If you are using canned or thawed shrimp make sure you drain them well, since a lot of water can cling to them otherwise.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 6 chopped green onions
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 oz shredded Monterey Jack pepper cheese
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 cup regular grits
- 4 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 lb peeled, cooked small shrimp
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Bring the chicken broth and ½ teaspoon of the salt to a boil in a pot, and then stir in the grits.
- Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir the grits with ¾ of the cheddar and all the Monterey Jack cheese.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic, green onions and bell pepper, and sauté for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir together the green onion mixture, grits mixture, shrimp, drained can of tomatoes and chilies, and a pinch each of salt and black pepper.
- Pour this into a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on top and bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown and piping hot.
This colorful and appetizing cheesy shrimp bake is made with grits, veggies and more. This is a wonderful recipe to make if you have a hungry family to feed and it will also do well at a buffet or another kind of gathering, since it tastes good even after it has cooled to room temperature. The amazing aroma of this recipe though means it will probably not get to the room temperature stage, since everyone will follow their nose and want to grab some while it is hot. Serve this dish just as it is or with a simple green salad on the side if you prefer.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- Asian Scallop and Shrimp Kabobs July 18, 2015
- Seabass Carpaccio Salad with Crispy Garlic July 12, 2015
- Golden Brown Scallop Gratin July 11, 2015
- 5 Shrimp Pasta Dishes You Must Try July 3, 2015
- Shrimp and Ricotta Stuffed Pasta Shells July 3, 2015
- Crispy Crab and Shrimp Wontons June 29, 2015
- Coronation Shrimp Vol-au-Vents June 28, 2015
- Buttery Seared Scallops in Prosecco June 23, 2015
- Warm Creole Crawfish Dip June 22, 2015
- Simple Kid-Friendly Salmon June 21, 2015
- Buttery Grilled Catfish with Garlic June 14, 2015
- Traditional English Haddock and Chips June 13, 2015
- Home (74897 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (32947 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (25155 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (20744 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (20430 Views)
- Fish and Chips (17378 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (16610 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (14591 Views)
- HomeJune 15, 2015
- MusselsJune 3, 2015
- Common Seafood SeasoningsJanuary 16, 2015
- The Life Cycle of a SalmonNovember 1, 2014
- The Life-Cycle of a CrawfishOctober 22, 2014
- Shrimp Glossary of Cooking Terms - Shrimp Cooking A - ZOctober 21, 2014
- A Brief History of Shrimp and Shrimp RecipesOctober 21, 2014
- A Closer Look at Shrimp RecipesOctober 21, 2014