Not every lobster recipe has to be complex and actually you can make a really good lobster salad in minutes. Add a few shrimp too to increase the amount of protein on the plate. We are using thawed lobster tails here, paired with shrimp, avocado, salad greens and any other salad ingredients you want to use, such as tomato, red onion or some cucumber slices.
The dressing is made with mango and citrus juices, along with shallot for some bite, honey for sweetness and a little oil. You will be able to taste the extra-virgin olive oil in the finished dressing so if you would prefer a softer, more neutral finish, opt for something like avocado oil instead. This dressing is really good with the seafood, and it offers a tangy, fruity flavor which is nice with the lobster, shrimp and the rest of the salad.
If you prefer to serve seafood dressing or something more traditional that is also fine, or else you could offer both and see which people prefer. This is filling enough to be a main dish, but if you omit the shrimp and serve less salad you can also get away with serving it as an appetizer. This recipe makes enough for four servings. If you have fresh lobster, use that, but frozen lobster tends to thaw well overnight in the refrigerator and you can simmer it to perfection in just a few minutes, although the exact cooking time depends on the weight and size of the lobster tail.
- 4 thawed lobster tails (about 4 oz each)
- 20 medium shrimp (unpeeled, tail-on is fine)
- 1 sliced avocado
- 4 handfuls salad greens
- Red onion, cucumber and tomato slices (optional)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mango
- 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add a little salt.
- Now add the lobster tails and simmer them from 4 to 8 minutes or until cooked.
- When the meat turns opaque and the shell changes color, they are ready.
- Add the shrimp a couple of minutes before the end of the lobster cooking time.
- Let the seafood cool for 5 minutes.
- Cut the lobster tails down the shell so you can pull the meat out, but put it back in for presentation.
- Divide the salad leaves, avocado and red onion, cucumber and/or tomato if using between 2 plates.
- Put the dressing ingredients in a blender and puree until the dressing is smooth and creamy.
- Arrange the lobster tails and shrimp (you do not have to peel them) on the plates.
- Drizzle the dressing on top or serve it on the side.
Lobster and shrimp both boast that wonderful pink color that just makes you want to grab some and sink your teeth into the juicy, succulent flesh. This salad includes contrasting textures too such as the creamy avocado, the crisp lettuce and the tangy citrus dressing. We like to add some seafood dressing to the plate too, but it is up to you. This makes a great salad during the spring or summer when you are not in the mood for anything too heavy. This is an elegant salad but using small thawed lobster tails helps to keep the cost down.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- A New England Girl’s Lobster Roll May 6, 2016
- Homemade Oyster Stew with Cilantro April 22, 2016
- Spaghetti and Clams with Red Sauce April 6, 2016
- Baked Clams Oreganata New England Style April 3, 2016
- Seared Scallops in a Tarragon Cream Sauce March 30, 2016
- Succulent Tempura Fried Crab Legs with Asian Dipping Sauce March 26, 2016
- Southern Fried Oyster Po-Boy Sandwich March 19, 2016
- Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Romano Cheeses March 16, 2016
- Homemade Salmon Burger with Avocado and Pineapple March 14, 2016
- Rhode Island Clam Fritter Recipe March 9, 2016
- Grilled Steak and Lobster with Creamy Mashed Potatoes March 5, 2016
- Cheddar Cheese Tuna Casserole with Mixed Vegetables February 28, 2016
- Home (81333 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (33504 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (26697 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (22322 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (21076 Views)
- Fish and Chips (20183 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (17523 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (17423 Views)