This easy salmon salad makes a great lunch. Ravigote sauce is a classic, slightly acidic French sauce which may be served warm or cold. Ravigote means ‘to invigorate’ in French and there is no doubt this tasty sauce adds a wonderful flavor to our salad, waking up the taste buds and bringing out the delicious taste of the fish we are using.
For the salad itself, you can use any kind of salad leaves you like, perhaps mixed baby leaves, spinach or romaine, along with cherry tomatoes, cucumber and onion. Some hard-boiled egg can also be added to the salad, and some people like to serve buttered whole wheat bread triangles on the side of the plate. The sauce can be made in a food processor or blender and then you can put some on the plate or else just serve it on the side.
Making a colorful salad like this is a nice way to present smoked salmon and it makes a change from smoked salmon sandwiches or other canape type recipes. This makes enough for 4 servings (and you will have half the sauce left over, which you can keep refrigerated for a future recipe) but if you want to make an appetizer rather than an entrée, it can stretch to 6 or even 8 smaller servings. Use the leftover sauce within 2 days, perhaps serving it with poached or pan-fried fish, or even chicken. Homemade ravigote sauce is of course much nicer and fresher-flavored than the commercial varieties.
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large handfuls mixed salad leaves
- ¼ finely sliced red onion
- 8 halved cherry tomatoes
- 8 oz good quality smoked salmon
- Small handful sliced or chopped cucumber
- 2 sliced hard-boiled eggs (optional)
- 4 lemon wedges, for garnish
- ½ tablespoon chopped dill weed, for garnish
- First make the ravigote sauce.
- Put the mustard, onion, lemon juice, egg, parsley, cayenne pepper and salt in the food processor or blender.
- Blend it for 30 seconds, then drizzle in the vegetable oil.
- It will thicken up.
- Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Now divide the salad leaves between 4 serving plates.
- Add the red onion, cherry tomatoes and smoked salmon.
- You can chop the salmon into large pieces or present the slices as they are.
- Add the cucumber and eggs if using.
- Add a lemon wedge to each plate and scatter the dill weed over the top.
- Serve the ravigote sauce on the side.
This is a very simple salad, made with smoked salmon along with tasty fresh salad vegetables. Add some hard-boiled egg to the plate and maybe buttered whole wheat bread to make it more filling. The homemade ravigote sauce is really good and transforms what might otherwise be an ordinary salad into something really spectacular. The sauce is easy to make, since you just have to add the ingredients to a food processor or blender. As for the salad, it is simply a question of arranging the ingredients on plates. This recipe makes a healthy lunch or light evening meal for four people.
Check Out Some of Our Other Hot Content
Leave a Reply
- A New England Girl’s Lobster Roll May 6, 2016
- Homemade Oyster Stew with Cilantro April 22, 2016
- Spaghetti and Clams with Red Sauce April 6, 2016
- Baked Clams Oreganata New England Style April 3, 2016
- Seared Scallops in a Tarragon Cream Sauce March 30, 2016
- Succulent Tempura Fried Crab Legs with Asian Dipping Sauce March 26, 2016
- Southern Fried Oyster Po-Boy Sandwich March 19, 2016
- Broiled Oysters with Parmesan and Romano Cheeses March 16, 2016
- Homemade Salmon Burger with Avocado and Pineapple March 14, 2016
- Rhode Island Clam Fritter Recipe March 9, 2016
- Grilled Steak and Lobster with Creamy Mashed Potatoes March 5, 2016
- Cheddar Cheese Tuna Casserole with Mixed Vegetables February 28, 2016
- Home (81388 Views)
- Authentic British Fish and Chips Recipe (33527 Views)
- Handy Guide to Grilling Lobster Tails (26765 Views)
- Chili Soy Sauce Steamed Fish (22386 Views)
- Cheesy Cajun Shrimp and Grits Bake – Perfect Party Food (21122 Views)
- Fish and Chips (20288 Views)
- Sensational Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce (17600 Views)
- Simple Cold Crab Salad (17556 Views)